Monday, October 3, 2011

Page ...

The New York Times movie Page One was one of the best I've seen in a long time. It definitely made me think a lot about what we've been learning in CreComm about how "there is no such thing as print journalism".

As most people know, there are people predicting that newspapers will only last another 10 years before they're no longer relevant. Me? I think we can all live in harmony - newspapers and internet.

The most interesting part of the movie for me is when they talked about how every reporter should have Twitter.

I think this is really important because Twitter has the ability to spread news fast, and as soon as it happens. People will believe anything on Twitter, so having reporters being the ones telling the news is the best way to make sure everything is true (well for the most part hopefully).

For that reason, I've been starting to look into tweeting more myself - and with the last live-tweeting assignment we had, I noticed how much people really are using it. There were only 2 students at the event I was at (Town Hall with Dr. Jon Gerrard at the WFP News Cafe) last week, but I got a lot of feedback from followers, as did Lindsey Wiebe who was tweeting as a reporter.

I'm glad that Twitter and the internet are integrating themselves into newspapers and reporting but I hope that in 10 years I'll still be able to pick up page one of the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment