Friday, October 14, 2011

Journalism Jobs

Before I know it I'm going to be out on work placement and getting some "real world" experience. I put real world in brackets because a lot of the things we do in CreComm are the same things we'll probably be doing on the job, we just do them at school.

As I'm thinking about where I'd like to have my work placement, I think about where I want to end up when I graduate. I don't want to be working as someone's assistant or teaching english to kids in Africa. Both of those jobs are great for those who like that kind of thing, but that's not just for me.

So I started thinking, what is my dream job? Well obviously CNN or BBC anchor, but that's setting the bar pretty high for a 21-year-old brand new journalist. So what's my dream first job? I would love love love to work in tv. Reporter would be ideal, but when you're first starting out it's kind of that "take anything you can get for experience" kind of thing.

So I set out to look for some TV jobs in Manitoba (I would love to stay in the province close to my family friends and boyfriend). Low and behold, there weren't any. 

During the summer the internet job posting websites were full of TV news jobs. From reporter, to anchor, to weather, etc. All summer I was thinking "oh man I wish I was done CreComm so I could apply for these." There was a lot of change that went on this summer and I feel like that doesn't happen very often.

I'm hoping that this drought for TV news jobs at home doesn't last. I'm also well aware of the "who you know" clause. So my plan for finding an awesome first journalism job: make a lot of connections at work placements and scour all the media job websites I can find.

Here's a list of ones I used for those who are looking:







I'd love to know what other resources people use to find jobs, and what your "first dream job" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment