Monday, September 19, 2011

A new kind of Journalism

In first year journalism classes last year the first, and main thing we learnt was writing for print. Sure we could've published those stories online, or on a news app. We learnt about blogging too, but generally we learnt how to write longer style news stories.

This year in the journalism major we're still learning that, but through other classes we're expanding our horizons.

In radio and broadcast journalism classes we're learning how to write for their prospective mediums.

At first I thought - Oh, Crap! I have no idea how to do this. I'm for sure doing this all wrong. But that's part of learning so I was okay with it.

I think radio has been the hardest for me. Though it's similar to writing for tv, with short, concise, easy to understand information - it's harder to do without any visuals.

I like the challenge of writing for radio but I've discovered that I love writing for TV.

Writing for TV is pretty hard because you are constantly having to think about what the viewer is going to get out of your story. Why do they care? I definitely made this mistake in the first couple weeks but I'm proud of my last story and hope I did it right!

The visuals definitely help, but add another challenge - to write to your video. But it's fun and I'm slowly falling in love with television writing. Next step...on air reporting!

The nice thing about CreComm is that they might throw you into something you don't know how to do, but then once you do it you know what you did wrong. I hope that most students are like me and

1 comment:

  1. As discussed in the J major class, we will be tweeting for some assignments.

    ReplyDelete