Monday, September 12, 2011

Anderson Who?

Two Fridays ago (September 2, 2011) I was at home, channel surfing when I finally decided to watch eTalk because there really wasn't anything else on. I was super excited when I clicked on the show and the screen changed to a nice close up of Anderson Cooper, one of my favorite journalists.

I didn't catch the whole interview, but when I tuned in what I heard amazed me. Ben Mulroney who was interviewing Cooper was asking him something along the lines of why or how he became a journalist. 

Cooper, who has a BA in political science from Yale became a journalist in a more drastic way then most of us. Compared to what he did, us CreCommers have it easy! During the interview Cooper told Mulroney that his friend made him a fake press pass and he started going to wars to cover them.



I knew that Cooper was an amazing journalist, doing amazing work with CNN - but I had never heard how he started before and I was amazed. I had gained a great respect for him and was impressed that eTalk was airing a more "newsy" story. That was until I watched the "highlight" video from the interview.

Here's the link: http://en.video.sympatico.ca/index.php/en/video/entertainment/3/all-entertainment-providers/153/etalk/729/cooper-countdown/1149933462001

It's just a promo interview for Cooper's new daytime television show, Anderson. The show is comparable to Oprah's talk show as they mentioned, with a large emphasis on celebrities lives and going into depth and finding out what their real stories are.

The show looks interesting but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm hoping and expecting a large emphasis on real journalism from Cooper, but this highlight reel doesn't give me that feeling. eTalk makes it seem like just another talk show and I'm a little worried because Cooper mentioned his guilty pleasure is "bad television" but I'm counting on him to impress me.

I PVR'ed the show, and am going to watch it later tonight - my thoughts on the new show to come. Hint, the first show features interviews with Amy Winehouse's friends and family, and is the first big interview they did after her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment