Thursday, October 14, 2010

What did you Learn at School Today?

It was like clockwork, every day when my parents got home from work before I freed myself from elementary and secondary education, they would ask "what did you learn at school today?"

"Nothing" I would answer, being the intellect that I was, I mean I already knew everything right? Not so much, I just didn't get excited about what I was learning and talking to your parents wasn't "cool".

Now, I openly tell my parents what I'm doing in school because I think it's cool and exciting. Sometimes, I think they want me to shut up. Today, I wish they had asked because I'd have such a great answer.

Here is what I learnt at school today.

First, my fellow classmates informed me that you can't go wrong with packing your lunch. Though, some days you just don't have the time (we are in CreComm after all), it's the most cost effective and you can guarantee you will be eating something you like (as long as your mom doesn't pack it!).

Secondly, I was informed that students are unknowingly censoring themselves. They're afraid of voicing their opinions, fearing humiliation, judgement and rejection. I say, there's no such thing as a bad opinion (as long as it's backed up by facts of course) so let your voices be heard!

Thirdly, I learnt that the best place for students to purchase gym memberships from is the YMCA-YWCA of Winnipeg. (Okay, maybe I already knew this a couple weeks ago, but the "Body Break" presentation was fun!)

Fourthly, my peers informed the class that lake friendly products are definitely worth it. Though the laundry detergent is definitely not worth buying, other cleaning products that are lake friendly were highly recommended. (Note to self: remember this when you move out and have to start cleaning)

Last, but certainly not least, I found out that garbage bags made from recycled materials are comparable in price and quality to other regular garbage bags. I also learnt that garbage bag "potato sack" races are HILARIOUS.

That is what I learnt at school today. I was very impressed by my classmates research, efforts and awesome presentations. Congratulations to everyone and thanks for a great day!

This blog post is dedicated to my parents, Dean and Glenda Shiells.

1 comment:

  1. I don't comment on your blog nearly as much as I should or would like, but always enjoy reading it and today is no exception. Keep mixing it up Terryn. :)

    ReplyDelete