Friday, October 1, 2010

Music was my Boyfriend

I recently dusted off my old alto saxophone and took it for a spin after some classmates convinced me to. I thought that it would probably sound pretty rough but I'd still remember how to play after two years.

Boy was I wrong! My sound wasn't actually terrible, not as smooth as it was in the peak of my high school jazz band career, but still pretty good.

Instead, I found myself struggling with learning songs by wrote and was significantly slower at reading sheet music.

I thought that for sure the sound would suffer since I only played saxophone for three years and learned music theory from playing other instruments and singing since I was really young.

I guess it's true that if you don't practice something you won't be able to do it forever. Determined to regain my musical theory skills and saddened by my lack of creating for the past two years I've created a list of things I want to accomplish within the next two years to help keep me sane during CreComm.

1. Practice alto saxophone once a month, playing by wrote and off sheet music.

2. Sing karaoke at least once in front of friends who haven't heard me sing before.

3. Learn how to play my dad's acoustic guitar.

4. Get up to expert on RockBand.

5. Sing in the shower every day.

6. Be in a band!

I miss music and am disappointed that what was once the focus of my life is now merely a memory. This list will help bring that joy back into my life and keep me sane! :)

3 comments: