Thursday, February 10, 2011

Resilience Runs in the Family

As you may or may not know, over the past 6-7 years, I've had some pretty unfortunate problems happening with my body. From chronic tendonitis, to growth plate displacement, to dislocated pelvis, you name it, I've probably had it. Through all of it, I've still managed to keep up my dancing and regular exercises, and not get fat! (woohoo)

Over the past few months I have realized where my resilience, some may call it stubbornness, from. This blog post isn't about me, it's about my Grandma.

My Grandma is the most stubborn, resilient lady I have ever met. Even through her failing health, she keeps on pulling through. Now, let me give you a brief history of her "miracles".

Grandma is born to a woman in her mid-thirties (this was unusual at the time), youngest child (1922)
Grandma has a child (my dad) in her late thirties (also unusual at the time - 1958)
*Now these past two things may not seem like a big deal, but let's put this in context. My Grandma was born to a very poor family who lived in rural Manitoba, with little to no health care nearby, and limited resources. Also, for women to have babies past 30 was considered unsafe at the time, until the 1960s I'd say it was, when women started having careers.*
Grandma gets diabetes around her 70th year.
Grandpa (Grandma's husband) dies of a heart attack in 1998, leaving her alone to live in her rural home for a couple years.
Grandma moves to the city and learns how to drive (2000).
Grandma has many hospital visits, scares of diabetic health and such (2000-2010)
Grandma needs surgery, to put in an artificial artery to help bloodflow to her legs, and survives (2010-age 88)
Grandma needs more surgery, actually she ends up having 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. Surgery 1- extension of artificial arteries, surgery 2- redo of one, because it didn't work in the right leg. Surgery 3 - amputation.

And that brings up to today, where my Grandma is recovering from the amputation of her right leg at Deer Lodge. The surgeries didn't help the blood flow to her right leg, and they had to amputate above the knee for her to survive.

The spry 89-year-old started physiotherapy just a day after the surgery, and is doing better than anyone could've expected, especially since we didn't think she would survive.

She makes comments like "Good thing I have a needle and thread in my wallet, I need to hem all my pants." and "I want more physiotherapy so I can get out of here". She even told the doctor she was going to fire him if he messed up one more surgery.

The cutest thing was when she asked my dad if he could buy her some sweat pants for physiotherapy. No elastic though, and they have to be gray. And when he asked what size she said "34 inch waist". Oh Grandma, you're so funny, they don't make sweat pants like that.

I love you Grandma, thank you <3 xox.

No comments:

Post a Comment